COVID-19 & Housing Resources
Check back often for new information. Questions, suggestions, requests for custom data or maps? E-mail us at email@example.com.
- Population by age. Older persons are at particular risk from COVID-19 health effects.
- Children and Education. With schools and childcare centers closed, families with children may be struggling. Shows number of children, public school students, and homeless students, plus percentages of children without health insurance and Internet access.
- Workers in Affected Industries. Counts of workers in the Leisure & Hospitality and Retail industries, which are heavily impacted by COVID-19 job losses. Also shows Health Care & Social Assistance workers. Includes average wages and associated affordable rent.
- Housing Burden. Households already paying more than they can afford for housing risk falling further behind. Shows median rent and shares of cost burdened renters and owners.
- Federally Financed Multifamily Housing. Tenants of most rental developments with federal subsidies and financing are eligible for eviction protections under the CARES Act . View lists of potentially eligible properties in the Assisted Housing Inventory (rental developments with federal and state subsidies), Homeless Assistance Programs (shelters, transitional housing, and supportive housing), and FHA Insured Mortgages (affordable and market-rate multifamily developments with mortgages insured by the Federal Housing Administration). Note that properties with HUD Public Housing funding often comprise multiple complexes or buildings; download Public Housing Buildings for a statewide, address-level list.
- Congregate Facilities. COVID-19 presents particular difficulties for residents and staff of congregate living facilities. View lists of Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Homes, Other Residential Health Facilities, and Correctional Facilities.
Map of COVID-19 Data Application (population, workforce, CARES Act, congregate facilities)
Where Employees Live and Work
- Accommodation/Food Services, Arts/Entertainment/Recreation, Retail Jobs Map
- Health Care and Social Assistance Jobs Map
Florida's workforce has been hard hit by job losses in the accommodation and food services, arts/entertainment/recreation, and retail industries, while health care and social assistance workers are central to the response to the pandemic. These maps show neighborhood concentrations of jobs in these industries by workplace locations and employees’ home locations. Click any Census tract to see the total number of jobs by business and by workers’ home locations. Rent data is also provided to flag areas where workers may be struggling with high housing costs.
- Remember those most vulnerable as coronavirus threat grows. Orlando Sentinel, March 17, 2020.
- These 55k South Floridians were struggling to pay rent. Then COVID-19 took their jobs. Miami Herald, April 4, 2020.
- Florida’s stay on evictions doesn’t mean renters won’t lose their homes Tampa Bay Times, April 22, 2020.
- How will Home Designs Change in the Age of Social Distancing? archinect, April 22, 2020.
- Landlords lining up to evict hundreds of Tampa Bay tenants once moratorium expires Tampa Bay Times, May 23, 2020.
- Eviction moratorium set to end The Gainesville Sun, May 30th, 2020.
- Miami-Dade gets its first affordable housing plan that includes COVID-19 recovery Miami Herald, July 9th, 2020.
- Minority, low-income Floridians hit hard financially by coronavirus, housing data show Tampa Bay Times, July 9th, 2020.
- Florida Housing Finance Corporation: COVID-19 Information and Resources
- Florida Housing Coalition: COVID-19 Webinars and Resources
- National Low Income Housing Coalition: COVID-19 Webinars and Resources
- Florida Eviction Protection information
- Community Justice Project: Eviction Moratoriums by County
- National Housing Law Project: Summary of CARES Act Eviction Moratorium
- Georgia Housing and Legal Scholars: Towards an Emergency Housing Response to COVID-19
- Urban Institute: The CARES Act Eviction Moratorium Covers All Federally Financed Rentals